Soap Maker turns plastic debris from Pacific Ocean into soap bottles

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, which gives a glimpse of the actual amount of plastic waste that is discarded and made ocean-bound, is serving the raw materials required to produce something new for soap-maker Method. The company is using all that junk plastic to produce soap bottles. A single recycled bottle of soap is nothing compared to what the world needs now, but mass producing the bottles could manage to reduce the size of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch by a bit.

Employees of the company along with volunteers from Sustainable Coastlines and the Kokua Hawaii Foundation are collecting about 3000 pounds of beached plastic in Hawaii, which is used to make 10 percent of materials used to produce the bottle. The other 90 percent of plastic used in the bottle in recycled too, but it isn’t sourced from the ocean.

The new bottle will be used to pack the company’s new “Sea Mineral” soap, which will be available for purchase somewhere around November. The 2-in-1 dish and hand cleaner is made to be soft on the hands and may be soft on the environment too.

Via: Wired

Leave a Comment:

Wordpress SEO Plugin by SEOPressor